The Sheremetev Palace is the Museum of Music, also called the “House of the Fountain”, it is located in the old manor house of Sheremetev. It has a plot of land on the Fontanka River, which was granted by Pedro I to Count Sheremetev in 1712. The stone palace is made up of two floors that still exist, built in 1750 by the architect Building S. Chevakinsky. There is reason to believe that Rastrelli drawings were used during the project.
Before 1917, the palace and Sheremetev’s estate belonged to the largest of five generations (counts) of the branch of the famous Russian family Sheremetev.
After the Revolution, the palace was converted into the noble Museum of Muzeefitsirovat, which existed until 1931. The frame of its funds was supposed to comprise the private collection of Sheremetev for 200 years. This is a complex combination of several layers. The assembly, is of a universal character and presents a variety of subjects included in a gallery of images, a collection of sculptures, weapons, numismatics, art objects and crafts, a library, a collection of church plaque and icons.
For more than 150 years, the palace was the “family nest” of Sheremetev’s family with collections of art and antiques, where Pushkin Kiprensky posed for the famous portrait.
In 1990, the palace was handed over to the Museum of Theater and Music to create the Music Museum of St. Petersburg where it houses the State Musical Instruments Collection. Since the late 1980’s the Sheremetev Palace began restoration work associated with the reconstruction of the gala and the 19th century Memorial of Interiors.
The music collection of the Sheremetev Palace has more than three thousand tools and it is one of the five largest places in the world and the best in Russia. It includes tools created by celebrities in the 16th-20th centuries from Western Europe and Russian masters; also commemorative tools of composers of the Russian school between the 19th and 20th centuries; the collection that belongs to the imperial family of Romanov; the unique Horn Orchestra of Russia and musical instruments from all over the world.
Now, in the House of the fountain, as it was called in St. Petersburg, is the Museum of Music. The poet Anna Akhmatova lived for many years in the palace wing. At the moment the Memorial Museum is open.
The museum operates with a permanent exhibition “The Sheremetev Family and Music Life from the 18th century until the beginning of the 20th century”, which was opened in 1995 and was implemented in collaboration with the Hermitage Museum, Russian State Museum, National Library of Russia, Pushkin House, Tretyakov State Gallery, Ostankino Palace-Museum, Russian Porcelain Museum of Kuskovo and owners of private collections.