The St. Petersburg university museum was established in 1947, when there was a need to properly organize the legacy of the great scientist who has made it evident and urgent. To accommodate the exhibitions, they especially restored the famous Kunstkammer, where Lomonosov has been engaged in scientific activity for almost a quarter of a century, whereby its tower has now become the most recognizable symbol of Russian science. The main purpose of the museum was originally put on end of funds, and not to the organization of permanent exhibitions, so it has only been open to visitors since 1949.
The modern exhibition unfolds in the three rooms with a total area of 420 square meters. These are the scientific and cultural activities of Lomonosov on the walls of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The personal and original belongings of the scientist are among the exhibits, his works and literary works, works of his contemporaries, various scientific instruments and mechanisms (for example, the electric machine made from a physical examination in the 18th century), as well as maps, astronomical measuring instruments, authentic samples of smalt heats through which Lomonosov was able to restore the lost art of the mosaic. Survivors of the Lomonosov workshop are also available for inspection, including the most famous “Portrait of Peter I”.
The official name of the museum is the “Department of History and Russian Science of the 18th century Kunstkammer”. In a sense, it is more successful than usual, the “University Museum” is currently the only museum in Russia dedicated to the history of science.
In addition to the elements directly related to the scientific activities of Lomonosov, in the museum you can see some really unique pieces: the Globe Gottorp, which is the world famous planetarium with a diameter of 3.16 meters (once was the largest balloon in the world); Astrolabe in the middle of the 16th century, the assistant of Arsenius, once belonged to the great Austrian commander Wallenstein; the mid-18th century calculating machine, a distant ancestor of modern computers; an impressive collection of artillery views from the Thirty Years’ War that, despite their terrible purpose, are true works of decorative art, decorated in the “Baroque” style.
Address: St. Petersburg, Universitetskaya.
Directions: from the station. Underground “Prospect Neva”: car №1, 7, 10, 11 and buses №7, 10, 24, 191.
Entrance to the public with Customs lane.
Opening hours: 11:00 -18:00, and Monday – closed.