The tragic history of Leningrad during World War II could not be classified for an individual exhibition. Let the compact size of the Sal Lane building, to which it belongs, which should not be fooled: a thousand exhibitions hide behind its walls, talking about the most difficult years of the history of St. Petersburg since the beginning of the war until their victory.
The museum has permanent exhibitions dedicated to the blockade. But the most important place is occupied by the expositions that say about the destiny of the Leningrad city defense. A part of the museum is dedicated to its own history, creation, suppression and recovery.
The Leningrad Defense Museum began work on December 4, 1943, becoming one of the first in the world dedicated to World War II. On 30 April 1944 a temporary exhibition “The Heroic Defense of Leningrad” was opened, which 4 years later became permanent, the museum passed into the hands of the state.
Initially the base of the exhibition was related to the war: weapons and party documents. Although no personal items from Leningrad were displayed, here was the famous 125 gram bread, where civilians and soldiers used it to feed those who were the main creators of the victory, and the party led by Stalin.
However, the so-called “Leningrad” has shown that the role of leader of the peoples of victory over Germany, were still underestimated. The acknowledged and distorted exposition of the demolition of history during the war that praised parochial patriotism. In 1949, the museum was completely closed for visits and was disbanded in 1953.
In the midst of its restructuring, there are witnesses of war events and intellectuals living in Leningrad, who decided to make an effort to restore the Museum of Defense. Everything went well, and on September 8, 1989, it was its grand opening.
¿What can you see?
The museum presents more than 52 thousand pieces and its library includes 17 thousand books. Today, the military collection, are represented mainly by the objects of daily life during the site.
An important part of the collection was given by the residents of St. Petersburg, who gave the museum papers, private diaries and family archives.
Here, inside a city of 1940, you will find the apartments and the theatrical makeup room.
The museum is housed in the ancient crafts of 1901-1903. The buildings are part of the complex in the city of Salt River Fontanka, the historical part of St. Petersburg.